Oh my goodness!!! .................
You're going to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these unbelievably easy, incredibly delicious, sweet & salty, crisp, buttery Salted Toffee Chocolate Pecan Squares - try them for yourself and you'll see just what I mean!
Need to take something fun and wonderful to work? Oh no! ....... is it a spur of the moment neighborhood potluck?............. Have a friend who needs a bit of love and cheer?........... Did you forget your mother's birthday?............... Need a quick, delicious treat to greet your kids when they walk in the door? ................... Late for your dentist appointment? ................. Did I hear you say it's just been "one of those days"? ..........
Don't worry, I gotcha covered! Boy, do I have you covered! But don't take my word for it - whip up a batch of these delicious Salted Toffee Chocolate Pecan Squares and you might find your family, friends, acquaintances, even your enemies - forgiving all your trespasses and ............. on their knees - begging for more! :)
P.S. Of course, you probably don't want to share with these folks how insanely easy the yummy bars are to make. This revelation might bring you down a notch or two on their "hero" scale - and who wants that?
Salted Toffee, Chocolate & Pecan Squares
16 whole graham crackers, 2 individual packages from a standard 14 ounce box
1 bag toffee bits such as Bits of Brickle
1 ½ cups coarsely chopped toasted pecans
½ cup sugar
1 cup butter, 2 sticks or
6 ounces chocolate chips*
¾ teaspoon good quality** sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350˚. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray.
2. Place graham crackers in a single layer on the sheet pan (13"x18"), edges touching. You will need to break a few of the crackers to completely cover the pan.
3. Sprinkle toffee bits over graham crackers.
4. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and butter to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat and cook at a rapid simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is syrupy and begins to turn a pale golden color, about 4 minutes.
5. Immediately pour sugar/butter mixture over graham crackers. Spread with a knife if necessary to cover the entire surface. Bake for 6 minutes then sprinkle with toasted pecans and return to oven. Bake until sugar topping is bubbling, another 6-7 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips and sea salt over graham crackers.
6. Slide foil with toffee bars onto to a large cutting board. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, quickly cut into 3-inch squares. The longer you wait the more difficult they will be to cut into neat squares. Cool completely (if you can stand it!). Store in an airtight container, up to one week.
* I used a combination of semisweet and milk chocolate chips, but really, the sky's the limit here - butterscotch or white chocolate chips would be wonderful as would mint chips or any other flavor that strikes your fancy! The variations are endless!
** I love Maldon Sea Salt, but use a good quality, fairly coarse sea salt that you can crush with your fingers.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living