It's been fun having a week at The Café dedicated to breakfast. If you haven't been with us this week, you might want to check some of the earlier posts for easy, healthy breakfast ideas. There was also a super splurge recipe yesterday for a Blueberry & White Chocolate Coffee Cake. I'm finishing off the week with a unique, savory muffin that will take your breakfasts "off the beaten path" ...............
My daughter received The Hummingbird Bakery Cook Book (from the legendary Hummingbird Cupcake Shops in London) for Christmas. I was thumbing though it and these interesting looking savory muffins caught my eye. I checked online and saw that a few other bloggers had also been intrigued by this unique recipe. The only negative comment that I read was that they "weren't the most attractive looking muffins".
I'm a firm believer in the concept that we taste with our eyes before the food ever reaches our mouths, so I was challenged to come up with a way to make them beautiful. I tossed around a few ideas, checked out my pantry and finally decided to dress the muffins up a bit with a sprinkle of toasted, salted pumpkin seeds. I also gave them a light brush of butter as they emerged from the oven for a little sheen and extra flavor. The results? Fabulous! Both to look at and to eat! You definitely want to make them!
P.S. By the way, although I'm featuring these delicious muffins as a part of Breakfast is Beautiful Week at The Café, they definitely are not limited to the morning meal. They also make a wonderful lunch or casual dinner paired with a salad or soup. Oh, and for me, just pack one of these in my lunch along with a crisp apple and I'll be happy as a lark!
Savory Ham, Feta and Basil Muffins
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
6 tablespoons butter, melted
¾ cup tiny frozen peas
¾ cup diced ham or crumbled cooked bacon
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
1 cup salted, toasted pumpkin seeds
2 teaspoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F . Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake papers.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and stir to combine. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3. Combine the eggs and milk in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
4. Pour the milk mixture into the center of the dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Fold in the peas, ham (or bacon), feta and basil.
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups, diving the batter evenly, filling until about 2/3 full. Sprinkle each muffin with 1 generous tablespoon of pumpkin seeds. Press gently with the back of your spoon to adhere the seeds to the batter. Bake for 25-30 mins or until golden and spring slightly to the touch. Remove from oven and brush the tops of each muffin lightly with the 2 teaspoons of melted butter. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for five minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
If you really want to wow your guests, serve these muffins with some delicious honey butter. Just take a stick of room temperature butter and add about one tablespoon of honey. Mix well and transfer to a pretty serving dish. They'll flip over this combination!